In today’s modern world, people often overlook the fact that paper is still essential to many businesses and storage systems are still needed for offices to function. File cabinets are not a thing of the past and can actually be required for certain types of businesses. With filing systems, comes the responsibility for a business to keep information safe and secure. Whether locking filing cabinets are required for your business or not, they can be a great addition to any office. We are going to review the benefits of locking filing cabinets.
Finding the Best Filing Cabinet for Your Office
As we have reviewed before, there are many options when it comes to the modern file cabinet, and finding the best filing cabinet for your office is just as important as deciding to add one. A filing cabinet (or file cabinet) is a piece of office furniture that serves as an enclosure for drawers in which items are stored. A file cabinet can be vertical or horizontal and some can lock to keep your items secure.
When selecting a file cabinet, you should consider how much private information you will be storing in the cabinet, to help you determine if you need a locking or non-locking version. Some types of businesses require that certain types of information are locked and secured.
What are the Benefits of Locking Filing Cabinets?
Although more information circulates digitally than it has in the past, there is still a lot of sensitive information that is printed and kept on paper. Locking filing cabinets have many benefits for businesses and home offices alike. Let’s review:
- Protect Sensitive Data: It should come as no surprise that locking file cabinets help to protect sensitive business data. Filing cabinets that lock help to keep customer information, business processes and procedures, and product designs and ideas safe from competitors and out of the wrong hands.
- Prevent Stolen Information: Filing cabinets that lock help to keep information out of the hands of those with no access to the storage unit. If you store personal information in your home cabinet, or other types of documents with valuable information in your business cabinet, a lock can deter thieves from gaining access to such items.
- Maintain Privacy: Businesses often deal with information that is private to them, such as donors to the organization or customer data. One benefit of a locking filling cabinet is that such information can be stored and secured so the information remains private and only those with a key to the cabinet can see that intelligence.
- Personal Information Security: When it comes to business, individual employees often have their private information all over paper documents that have been signed, reviewed, etc. Locking filing cabinets provide a place for personnel to store their personal information and keep it out of the reach of others. Certain file cabinets provide space for storage of purses and wallets throughout the day, as well, which can be an added security benefit for employees.
- Remain Compliant: As previously mentioned, certain types of businesses are required to lock specific types of documents. Locking filing cabinets provide the means for businesses to do so, so they can remain compliant with the guidelines they follow.
It should come as no surprise that there are benefits of locking filing cabinets and they can add an extra layer of protection to you and your business.
With the biggest selection of new and used filing cabinets, Office Furniture Warehouse makes it easy to select the right filing cabinet for your home or business. Whether it’s a wood file cabinet, metal file cabinet, or a durable fireproof cabinet that keeps your files safe and secure, we have them available. We have lateral or vertical, open or locking, letter or legal-size filing cabinets too.