Whether your office is an at home office or in a physical workplace, you likely want to eliminate clutter and keep things organized. The most functional way to keep your workplace tidy, is to have a filing cabinet. There are different types of filing cabinets to choose from, so we are going to review how to find the best filing cabinet for your office.
What is a Filing Cabinet?
A filing cabinet (or file cabinet) is a piece of office furniture usually used to store paper documents in file folders. In the simplest context, it is an enclosure for drawers in which items are stored. A file cabinet can be vertical or horizontal and some can lock to keep your items secure.
File cabinets come in a lot of different types and sizes which can make it difficult to find one that is best for your office needs.
How to Find the Best Filing Cabinet for Your Office
To find the best file cabinet for your office, you should consider the below items:
- Size and Space: One of the key things to consider when looking for the right filing cabinet, is the size you need to store all of the items you intend to put inside of it, and also the space you have available to house the cabinet. Keeping size and space in mind will help you to decide if you need a vertical or lateral file cabinet and what will best suit your needs. It is recommended to buy a cabinet slightly larger than what you need to account for future growth.
- Vertical cabinets are generally the most popular style for home offices, as they are a great space-saving option for smaller areas. They rely on front-to-back filing systems so they can be deep. It is important to make sure you measure them, and the space they will be placed in, properly, to avoid a file cabinet that looks out of place or is a safety hazard.
- Lateral cabinets are typically more common for high-volume offices, especially those with wide floor surfaces. Lateral cabinets (horizontal) can hold a larger amount of paperwork than most vertical models and they can allow for more organization. Horizontal cabinets are typically lower to the ground than vertical ones, so they allow for better visibility and filing capabilities than a taller vertical model.
- Security: If you are looking for a file cabinet to house documents that need to be secure, you will want a filing cabinet that locks. When selecting a file cabinet, you should consider how much private information you will be storing in the cabinet, to help you determine if you need a locking or non-locking version. There are also fireproof options to add next level security to your file cabinet.
- Appearance: Like everything these days, there are many options when it comes to the look of file cabinets. They can be made from metal, wood, or plastic, come in various colors, and can even serve a dual purpose as a rolling seat bench. To find the best filing cabinet for your office, you should consider durability and practicality as well as decor.
You should find the best filing cabinet for your office to keep you organized and clutter free.
Shop Office Furniture Warehouse for your new file cabinet.
With the biggest selection of new and used filing cabinets, we make it easy to select the right filing cabinet for your home or business. Whether it’s a wood file cabinet, metal file cabinet, or a durable fireproof cabinet that keeps your files safe and secure, we have them available. We have lateral or vertical, open or locking, letter or legal-size filing cabinets too.