It seems like standing desks are all the rage these days and companies are happy to share when they offer their employees the benefit of standing desks. Standing desks are not just a trend because they are new and “cool”, they offer many health benefits. Why are standing desks so popular and is there a benefit to standing desks?
What is a standing desk?
A standing desk, also called a stand-up desk, is just as it sounds; it is a desk that you are able to stand at while you work, as opposed to sitting down like at a regular desk. Most current versions of a standing desk allow you to alternate between sitting and standing.
What is the benefit to standing desks?
There is a benefit to standing desks, in fact, there are several of them, and most of them are based on the findings that long hours of sitting are linked to a higher health risks, such as: obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and others.
Below we review the benefits of standing desks.
- Lower Risk of Weight Gain and Obesity: Weight gain is caused by taking in more calories than you burn. On the other hand, burning more calories than you take in results in weight loss. Something as simple as choosing to stand instead of sitting at a desk can be beneficial to weight loss. In fact, when compared to an afternoon of sedentary work, an equal amount of time spent standing has been shown to burn over 170 additional calories. That is nearly 1000 extra calories burned each week just by standing at your desk a little while each day.
- Reduced Blood Sugar Levels After a Meal: In a study of 10 office workers, standing for 180 minutes after lunch reduced the blood sugar spike by 43% compared to sitting for the same amount of time (PubMed.gov). Both groups took the same amount of steps, indicating that the smaller spike was due to standing rather than additional physical movements around the office.
- Decrease Your Risk of Heart Disease: The idea that standing is better for your heart’s health, is not a new concept. This was was first proposed in the mid-1900s. Since then, scientists have developed a much greater understanding of the effects of sitting on heart health, with prolonged sedentary time thought to increase the risk of heart disease by up to 147%. Spending more time on your feet is beneficial for heart health; thus, increasing the benefit to standing desks.
- May Reduce Back Pain: Back pain is a common issue for people who are in an office setting for prolonged periods of time. Several studies have been done on employees with long-term back pain. Participants have reported up to a 32% improvement in lower back pain after a few weeks of using standing desks. Another study published by the CDC found that use of a standing desk reduced upper back and neck pain by 54% after only 4 weeks.
- Enhance Mood and Energy Levels: Standing desks can lower feelings of stress and fatigue, while improving mood and energy levels. In one 7-week study, participants using standing desks reported less stress and fatigue than those who remained seated the entire work day. Additionally, 87% of those using standing desks reported increased stamina and energy throughout the day (PubMed.gov).
There is a benefit to standing desks, there are actually many health related benefits associated with less time sitting and more time on your feet. While everyone is different, standing desks are beneficial for most people.
At Office Furniture Warehouse, we offer many different styles and types of desk for you to choose from. We offer desks that are made of steel, laminate, or wood and come with or without hutches, in beautiful dark or light finishes, in a variety of styles, are standing or sit down… the possibilities are endless.
If you are ready for a standing desk or just some new office furniture, we have options for you. Contact us to see what we have in stock.